IP Ratings Explained
Many of our products feature an IP rating such as IP20, IP65 and IP67, here is an explanation of this rating system, so you can understand more about the product you are looking for.
IP stands for Ingress Protection. The IP classification system was implemented to give users an easily identifiable method to identify an electronic piece of equipments protection against foreign objects such as dust and water.
The IP system uses 2 digits, the higher each of these is the greater the protection.
The first digit refers to protection against dust and solid objects; the second protection agaist water ingress.
IP First Number – Protection against solid objects
- 0 – No special protection
- 1 – Protected against solid objects up to 50 mm, e.g. accidental touch by persons hands
- 2 – Protected against solid objects up to 12 mm, e.g. persons fingers.
- 3 – Protected against solid objects over 2.5 mm (tools and wires).
- 4 – Protected against solid objects over 1 mm (tools, wires, and small wires).
- 5 – Protected against dust limited ingress (no harmful deposit).
- 6 – Totally protected against dust.
IP Second Number – Protection against liquids
- 0 – No protection
- 1 – Protection against vertically falling drops of water e.g. condensation
- 2 – Protection against direct sprays of water up to 15° from the vertical.
- 3 – Protected against direct sprays of water up to 60° from the vertical.
- 4 – Protection against water sprayed from all directions – limited ingress permitted.
- 5 – Protected against low pressure jets of water from all directions – limited ingress.
- 6 – Protected against temporary flooding of water, e.g. for use on ship decks – limited ingress permitted.
- 7 – Protected against the effect of temporary immersion between 15 cm & 1m
- 8 – Protects against long periods of immersion under pressure.
Typical IP ratings on our products are :- IP20, IP64, IP65, IP66, IP67
For example our LED Flexi Strips feature IP20, IP65 and IP67 ratings.
For our IP20 strips this means that they are protected against solid objects up to 12mm like persons fingers, or light materials such as cloth, however they are not protected against water.
For our IP65 strips, this means that they are totally protected against dust and solid objects over 1 mm and low pressure jets of water from any angle, suitable for cleaning products.
For our IP67 strips, this means that, like the IP65 strips, they are totally protected against dust and solid objects over 1mm and low pressure jets of water from any angle.
An example of IP ratings in our power supplies is IP67 for our PUC-I021 Constant current LED driver. It’s IP67 rating means that it is totally protected against dust and solid objects over 1 mm, just like our strips, but they are also protected against the effects of temporary immersion in shallow levels of water.